The Gilgut Chair in Plant Biology was established in 1998 by the family of Professor Constantine J. Gilgut, to honor his more than 50 years of teaching, research and outreach in Botany and Plant Pathology at the University. Dr. Elsbeth L. Walker, former PB Director and member of the Biology Department, is the current Gilgut Chair. The Gilgut endowment fund also aims to support outstanding students in the field of plant science, known as Gilgut Fellows. When funds are available, the Gilgut fellowship provides a full year of funding to a current PB graduate student.
For 2015-16, the Gilgut fellowship was awarded to Elisha Allan-Perkins, from the Jung Lab in the Stockbridge School of Agriculture. Elisha's research interests are: Phytopathology, ecology, nematology, microbiology, ecosystem studies and extension.
Our recent Gilgut Fellows:
- 2014-15: Scott Lee, Hazen Lab
- 2013-14: Peter van Gisbergen, Bezanilla Lab
- 2012-13: Pubudu Handakumbura, Hazen Lab
- 2011-12: Graham Burkart, Bezanilla Lab
- 2010-11: Burcu Kokturk, Walker Lab; and Nicole Soper Gorden, Adler Lab
- 2009-10: Sydne Record, Ellison Lab
- 2008-09: Shuang Wu, Baskin Lab; and Jeonghwa Lee, Schnell Lab (currently at MSU)